On the first Monday in May, celebrities and fashion creatives gathered at the Metropolitan Museumof Art in New York City for fashion’s biggest night. This year, the gala explored the theme, Camp: Notes on Fashion. The looks were exaggerated, big and anything but serious. Particularly iconic were looks from the likes of Lady Gaga, Ciara, Kacey Musgraves and Donatella Versace. (Make sure to check out our favorite looks from the night.)
Beauty trends came in hot this year—we noticed exaggerated eyelashes, colorful nails, eye-catching headdresses, and plenty of hair coloras accessory. Our favorite? BIG hair. Dua Lipa and Lily Collins were among the celebrities that pulled off a big bouffant. We spoke to Mayra Rodriguez, National Education Director to understand how to capture a simpler version of the the big 1960s inspired hair seen on the pink carpet, making it perfect for a night out on the town with your girlfriends. This hair is versatile and can work on both long and short hair, depending how big you want it.
What you need:
- Blow dryer (optional)
- Clips or rollers
- Backcombing brush or combs
- 1.25 curling iron
- Crimper (optional)
- TIGI Copyright Volume Lift Style Spray
- TIGI Copyright Maximum Hold Hairspray (Lots of it)
How to Achieve the Look:
- Blow dry damp hair for maximum volume.
- Separate the hair into sections starting from the bottom and leaving the hair in front in clips or rollers.
- Curl the hair at the bottom section once you’re finished parting the hair.
- Once you’ve curled the hair begin to tease it by crimping and combing the hair back and forth until it creates a messy look, adding hairspray and volumizing spray for the hold and height.
- Continue to do this until you reach the top section of the hair, and you take the front section out of the clips or rollers.
- When the clips or rollers are removed, begin to backcomb the hair on top of the teased hair so that it will lay off the head, this will create a fuller look.
- Hairspray is the key to this look, spray away!
A tip for shot hair: Create a perfect side part and maximize volume to one side instead of all back. This will create a nice and glamorous look for you.
The bigger the hair, the closer to camp. 1960s-esque, pageant-level volume is easy to achieve with patience. Make sure to check out our Instagram for fashion show hair that resembles these looks. Let us know what you think!